Sunday, November 8, 2015

SRC - Latkes

Time for another Secret Recipe Club reveal I love getting my blog assignment each month and this month I was assigned the blog Oh! You Cook.  Dena has a great blog with an emphasis on Kosher foods, she is also a cookbook author of The Everything Kosher Slowcooker Cookbook.

I am really not familiar with Kosher foods, so it was really interesting and informative spending time looking through Dena's blog.  I usually go straight to the dessert section of my assigned blog each month, I was tempted by thapple fritter muffins  and the treacle tart  because it is such a classic English tart, in the end though I went with something that is completely new to me and that was the potato latkes.

They are quick and easy to make, we had them on a night that Randal grilled steaks and they were a great side to have.  We loved them and decided we would definitely be making these again!


2 large potatoes
1 egg
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 tsp  kosher salt
vegetable oil

Peel and grate the potatoes.  Place the potatoes in paper towels and roll up to remove as much liquid as possible.  Place potatoes in a large bowl, add the diced onion, egg, flour and salt.  Mix together.

Add oil to a frying pan, enough to cover the bottom of the pan, heat over medium high heatAdd heaping tablespoons of the potato mixture to the pan, flatten out and fry for 3-5 minutes per side, until browned.  It is traditional to serve with apple sauce.

Pin It

9 comments:

Kate said...

I am trying to master latkas.... Will have to give yours a try! Great SRC choice.

dena said...

Since Hanukkah is early this year (less than a month away - eek!) your SRC selection is very timely! Great photo too!

Stephy said...

I've never been successful at making latkes or hashbrowns. I think everyone has that one thing they can't do, and I just can't do this. These look great though. Just stopping in from group C to say great job.

Camilla Mann said...

I can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah@WellDined said...

Simple and yummy :-) I had such a great time looking through your blog this month!

Amanda E said...

Tis almost the season for Latkes so perfect SRC pick in more ways than one!!!

Nichole L said...

I've wanted to make these for the longest time but keep putting it off. Yours look great!

Linda@2CookinMamas said...

I have never made latkes either but our family made something similar. We formed patties from leftover mashed potatoes and pan-fried them until they got a crispy layer on each side. Maybe that is what we were making all along - who knew?! Yours look just the way I like my potato pancakes - yum!

CJ Huang said...

I've never made these before, but yours look great! I think it's just about the right season for them too. :)