Friday, March 27, 2009

My Mother In Law's Meatloaf

When I asked DH what he wanted for his birthday dinner, he chose his Mom's meatloaf. I never had the chance to meet her as she died when the hubby was only 18 (and I was a year old at at the time) but I do have her recipe collection (pictured to the left) and her meatloaf is one of my favourite recipes of hers to make. It's impossible to take an attractive picture of a slice of meatloaf, but trust me, it tastes far better than in looks!


Ingredients:
2 lbs of ground beef
4 slices of peppered bacon
2 eggs
1 onion diced
1 green pepper diced
12 crackers
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon of worcester sauce
Salt and pepper

For the sauce:
1 cup of light brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon of red wine vinegar
Dash of worcester sauce

Saute onion and pepper in olive oil until soft. Mix all the ingredients together, form into a long loaf shape in large baking dish. Spread a thin layer of sauce on top, cut the bacon slices in half and lay accross the meatloaf, cover with the sauce, bake at 350 for 1 hour.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is the best meatloaf I have ever had!!!

Sarah said...

Thanks Allison!