Thursday, November 5, 2009

Remember, Remember The 5th Of November

Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason, why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.




This post is a little different than normal, isn't about coupons, deals or food. I am feeling a little sad today as back home in England it is bonfire night / Guy Fawkes night.

I don't feel homesick very often anymore, but every year this day hits me a little harder than most.

For those that don't know, November 5, 1605, marks the date when Guy Fawkes and his fellow conspirators attempted to kill King James I and the Members of Parliament and to blow up the Houses of Parliament. Every year since then bonfires have burned on November 5th to mark the failed gunpowder plot.



I haven't set foot in England in almost 7 years, and I really don't know if I will ever go back home again, but today I miss it, I miss the fireworks, the bonfires, the cold, oh how I miss the cold weather, and most of all I miss feeling like I fit in or belong somehwere, I miss knowing that other people are celebrating the same things. I miss home.

No comments: