Monday, September 3, 2012

Mulligatawny Soup

Mulligatawny is a spicy British soup that is flavoured with curry, ginger and coconut milk. I started out usuing a Gordon Ramsay recipe but it seems that each recipe for this soup is different, so I ended up combining the best bits of a number of recipes and the end result was a delicious soup!




1/4 cup butter
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp flour
2-3 tbsp grated ginger
1 grated green apple
3 cups chicken stock
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup cooked rice
1 chicken breast, cooked and chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a pan and add the onion, carrot and celery and season with salt and pepper, cook for 5 minutes, until they begin to soften.
Add the tomato paste, curry powder and flour, cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the ginger and apple and stir over a high heat for a few minutes, add in the chicken.
Add the stock and coconut milk and simmer until thickened. Add the rice and heat through. Season to taste.

Pin It

2 comments:

Cathie Sperring said...

This looks quite interesting.
My neighbor swears this is the best
kind of soup he has ever had.
His version does not use coconut
milk, but I think this one will be better.
Thank you.

Susan Jarvis Bryant said...

What an amazing recipe. I too am from Kent. I moved to Texas in 2011 and have been married to my Texan husband for 11 years... all was perfect until I developed a craving for Mulligatawny soup. I searched the net with abandon... tried several recipes (including Gordon's), and yours is the best. Thank you very much for shining that extra ray of zesty sunshine on my already sunny life.