Sunday, December 7, 2014

SRC - Kentish Pie

Time for another Secret Recipe Club reveal.  This month I was assigned the blog Sids Sea Palm CookingThe first thing I noticed was that she loved to entertain and her monthly tapas nights look like so much fun and all her little appetizers look delicious.  I definitely found some very unique recipes, like the bologna cake.  However as soon as I saw the Kentish pie  I was immediately intrigued... did it mean Kent as in the county of Kent in England? It turns out that's exactly where this pie is from, and as that is where I am also from I knew I had to give it a try.  I lived in various places in Kent (Whitstable, Walderslade and Canterbury) from the age of 7 to 22 when I moved to America, but I had never heard of this pie before.  After reading through the recipe it appeared to be like a quiche with apples and a top crust, and as I love quiche I couldn't wait to try it.

I took a little help from the store and used store bought pastry and the rest of the filling came together in a few minutes, so this was a really quick and easy recipe to make and it turns out it is also really good! so thank you so much for introducing me to a pie from Kent and giving me a little taste of home thousands of miles away in another country!

Also, please excuse the pictures, my camera finally died and I am stuck using the iphone, here's hoping father christmas brings me a new camera this year!





2 sheets of pie crust
8 eggs
12 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese
3 tbsp heavy cream
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 egg yolk

Preheat oven to 350.

unroll the pastry sheet and place it in the bottom of a pie pan.  Put some parchment paper over the crust and fill with dried beans, bake for 15 minutes and set aside.

In a large bowl beat the 8 eggs together and stir in the heavy cream and black pepper.

In the bottom of the pie shell place half the bacon, followed by half the cheese and half the apples, then repeat with the remaining ingredients.  Pour the beaten eggs over the filling, top with the second sheet of pie crust and use a knife to remove any excess pastry, cut a few slits in the pastry then brush with the beaten egg yolk, bake for 50 minutes.

     

Pin It

11 comments:

Camilla M. Mann said...

This is a new one for me. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for cooking and sharing with the SRC.

BecHeflin said...

What an interesting recipe! Sounds like one I need to try!

Sidsel Munkholm - Author said...

So glad you picked this recipe. And that you liked it. I love fun recipes like this.

Unknown said...

How fortuitous to find a recipe to remind you of "home"! Hope you're Christmas wish comes true. :)

Saundra Contreras said...

Apples and cheese...I NEED to try these together! Thank you for sharing :)

Unknown said...

What a unique recipe! Apples and cheese are always a winning combination - great choice!

Rebekah said...

My Granddad always loved cheddar cheese with his apple pie - but I've never heard of apples with a quiche! I bet it's delicious!

Stephanie said...

This pie sounds delicious. Great pictures (even if you were using a phone instead of a camera.) Can't wait to read more unique recipes

Julie said...

This sounds delicious. I've never heard of this pie! Visiting from Src B. Happy Holidays.

Kathy Walker said...

I have not heard of this pie but it certainly sounds delicious! Great SRC selection.

Morsels of Life | CJ Huang said...

bacon, apples, and some sharp cheddar? Definitely sounds like a winner of a recipe! :)