Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Buttermilk White Bread

I had a lot of buttermilk leftover from baking cupcakes last weekend, I usually have good intentions of using it but most of the time it just sits in the fridge until it goes bad, but this time I had so much of it left that I was determined to use it.  The first thing I thought of was making some home made bread as we had planned on having bacon sandwiches for dinner anyway.  I did a quick search and found this buttermilk bread recipe from Blissful and Domestic.  It looked really good, the dough was made in the bread machine which is always a plus when I have little kids running around wanting all my attention, and I had everything on hand to make it.  It did bake up as very soft bread so I was a little concerned about that, but in the end we both enjoyed it and used it for our sandwiches.




1/3 cup Water
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp of butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp brown sugar
3 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp yeast
2 tbsp vital wheat gluten 

Place ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed.  Select dough setting, mine took 1 hour and 20 minutes.
When the dough cycle has finished, turn out dough onto floured surface, knead by hand for a minute just to smooth out the dough and form it to fit a greased loaf pan.  Cover and leave to rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, until golden brown.  Brush with melted butter as soon as it comes out of the oven.  
Pin It

No comments: