Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Black Bean Burgers

I have been really loving black beans recently, so when I found this black bean burger recipe over at Smells Like Home I couldn't wait to try it.  I have never made or even actually eaten a black bean burger before so I don't have anything to compare this to, but I was so surprised by these burgers... they are good, really good, I think they have just become my new favourite lunch as unfortunately Randal wouldn't eat these at all.


3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tsp olive oil
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 large eggs
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
1 shallot, minced

Mix the breadcrumbs and 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a small bowl.  Heat a small frying pan over medium heat, add the breadcrumbs and toast until lightly browned. Set aside.

In a large bowl mash all but half a cup of the black beans.  Add in the red bell pepper, shallot and cilantro.

In a small bowl beat the eggs, salt, cumin and cayenne together. 

Mix the egg mixture into the bean mixture, add in the half cup of black beans and the panko breadcrumbs, mix together and refrigerate for half an hour.

Shape the mixture into 6 half cup patties.  Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet and cook the patties for around 10 minutes, turning half way through cooking.
Pin It

No comments: