Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Cuban Pork Roast

When I bought this pork roast I had intended to make the cranberry pork that Randal loves, however on a whim I thought I would try making a Cuban pork roast, with the intention of using some of the leftovers for Cuban sandwiches. I knew that McCormick had a Cuban seasoning but I looked in multiple stores and I couldn't find it, so I looked up the ingredients in their seasoning and decided to just try making my own. I really wasn't sure how this would turn out, but we both absolutely loved this, Randal said it was the best roast pork I had ever made and even after finishing off this huge roast over a few days he wants to know when I am making it again.


Pork roast
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp dried oregano
zest of 1 lemon
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp adobo seasoning
1 tbsp salt
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lime juice

In a small bowl combine the cumin, oregano, lemon zest, garlic powder, onion powder, adobo, salt and pepper.

In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering.  Add half of the seasoning mix and cook for 30 seconds or so.  Remove from heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes, then add the orange juice and lime juice.  Put back on the heat and cook for 5 minutes.  Leave to cool.

Season the pork with the remaining seasoning mix, place into a large ziploc bag and pour over half of the marinade.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

Cook the roast at 350 for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, brushing with the remaining marinade every 45 minutes.

Pin It

No comments: