Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Corn and Lima Bean Succotash

I don't think I have ever tried a succotash before, it's a very American dish to me, certainly not something we ate when I lived in England, and lima beans were also not something we ate, actually I don't think I ever tried them before I had a lima bean succotash in one of our favourite grocery stores here in Houston, Central Market.  They were sampling this succotash with a spiced tilapia, we both loved it so much we decided to go home and make our version of it, only we had cod not tilapia.


 1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
2 cups corn kernals
2 cups lima beans
3 tbsp fresh basil, sliced
salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a large pan.  Add onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic, cook for another minute.  Add the tomatoes, corn and lima beans.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper and stir in the fresh basil.

Pin It

No comments: