Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Pumpkin Lasagna

I saw this recipe in the latest issue of the food network magazine and I knew that as long as I didn't tell the hubby that there was pumpkin in it, he would eat it happily. I really liked this lasagna and I will definitely be making it again!


1 medium onion, chopped
4 to 6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
1 large courgette, thinly sliced
1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded romano cheese
1 egg
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 pound cooked lasagna noodles

Place the pumpkin puree in a sieve over a bowl and let drain

In a large heavy skillet, over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in the olive oil until translucent. Add sausage and cook until brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks.

In a medium pot combine tomato sauce and red wine and bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Add salt, pepper and herbs, reduce heat to low, cover and let it simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Mix the strained pumpkin puree with the egg and season with salt and pepper, in a seperate bowl mix together the ricotta, 1 cup of the mozzarella and romano cheeses.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Build your lasagna in a large (9 by 13-inch) baking dish starting with a layer of sauce, a layer of pasta, a layer of half the pumpkin mixture, add half the cheese mixture and cover with some of the sauce. Repeat the layers finishing with a layer of pasta and a layer of sauce. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese on top and bake for 35 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.


See other recipes at The Grocery Cart Challenge, Eat At Home

2 comments:

SnoWhite said...

that sounds delicious! I recently made a baked ziti where I used sweet potato blended together with the carrots -- gave it a wonderful texture and wasn't even noticeable! I'll have to give this one a try.

Candi said...

I love "sneaking" veggies into my family's meals. My husband is the picky eater in our house so I'll definitely try this! I already puree spinach and add it to spaghetti sauce...it just makes the tomato sauce a little more rusty in color - and he doesn't know! LOL!