Sunday, April 14, 2013

Chocolate Root Beer Bundt Cake

Time for another Secret Recipe Club reveal. This month I was assigned the blog Satisfy My Sweet Tooth which is such a pretty blog, such great pictures.

After looking through all the recipes I decided on this chocolate root beer bundt cake, I do not like root beer at all but Randal loves it and I figured that once it's baked into a chocolate cake you wouldn't taste too much of that root beer anyway.  I used my favourite valrhona cocoa to make this cake so it ended up really chocolately.  I wanted to make the root beer chocolate frosting a little more runny so I could drizzle it on the cake, so I doubled the amount of root beer in it.


2 cups root beer
1 cup valrhona cocoa
1 stick unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Frosting:
1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate, melted
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup root beer
2/3 cup valrhona cocoa
2 cups icing sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 325 and grease a 10 inch bundt pan.

In a small pan, melt the butter, add in the the root beer, cocoa and the sugars.  Leave to cool.

In a medium bowl mix the flour, baking soda and salt.

Whisk the eggs into the cooled root beer mixture and add to the flour, mix until combined.

Bake for 40 minutes, or until cooked through.

To make the frosting add all the ingredients to the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until smooth. You can either pour it over the cake or use a spoon to drizzle it.


Pin It

12 comments:

Rebekah said...

I have never heard of a root beer chocolate cake.....but I love both of those, so I'll just have to try it! What a fun idea! Great SRC post!

Mostly Food and Crafts said...

Thats one pretty cake and I bet it tastes great!

Unknown said...

I have some rootbeer extract this would be excellent for that.

Unknown said...

I bet it's tasty cake! Great SRC choice!

Unknown said...

It's so pretty! I wouldn't have thought of root beer and chocolate but why not?

Miz Helen said...

Sarah,
I can't wait to try this recipe, this cake looks fantastic! Great cooking with you in Group B!
Miz Helen

shelley c. said...

I am not a fan of soda... except for root beer. So this cake sounds awesome!! I can't wait to try it! :)

Debs Dust Bunny said...

I have made chocolate cakes using cola and they are fabulously moist. I am sure your Root Beer would be similar. It's a beautiful looking cake and a clever twist on a classic.

Judee@ Gluten Free A-Z Blog said...

Interesting idea. Your cake looks beautiful..

Lisa said...

Mmm, root beer, how fun!

Trisha said...

Love the look of drizzled frosting on a bundt cake and yours sure looks good. Stopping by from Group A!

I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog. I'd love for you to stop by and be a part of it!!! http://www.myhobbielobbie.com/2013/04/a-few-of-my-favorite-things-and-giveaway.html

Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) said...

Holy cow this sounds incredible. Pinned. Great SRC choice.