Friday, April 19, 2013

Spanish Rice

I don't often make my own spanish rice, Randal actually really likes the zatarain rice mixes so most of the time when we have tacos I make that. This time though I really wanted to try a homemade version. I looked around at a number of different recipes and then threw this together really quickly. It was quite spicy, but that's because I didn't use the mild rotel.


2 cups rice
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 can rotel
2 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cumin
Fresh parsley (because we don't like cilantro)
2 tbsp olive oil

In a blender, puree the onion, garlic and can of rotel.

In a large frying pan, add the olive oil over high heat.  Add the rice and fry until the rice turns white.  Add the puree mixture to the pan along with the chicken broth and the chili powder, oregano and cumin.  Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer and let cook for 15 minutes, until all the broth has been absorbed and the rice is tender.  Stir in the chopped parsley.


Pin It

No comments: